Gratin of Potatoes (Patate Gratinate)
I love potatoes! Slices of Yukon Gold are lovingly dressed with a generous amount of extra virgin olive oil, homemade bread crumbs, your favourite fresh herbs, freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano and... you guessed it... more olive oil! Soft on the inside. Crispy crunchy coating on the outside! Perfect for a side dish! Tasty enough on their own!
- 3 large potatoes peeled and sliced (no more than 1/4")
- Bunch of your favourite fresh herbs, chopped I use mostly parsley with a little rosemary.
- 2 fresh cloves of garlic minced
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 8 - 10 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1½ cups Homemade dried bread crumbs
- ¼ cup water
- Parmigiano Reggiano, freshly grated
In a small bowl, mix the breadcrumbs with the chopped herbs, minced garlic, salt, and pepper. Drizzle with about half the olive oil to make a moist mixture. Set aside.
In large bowl, toss the potato slices with the remaining olive oil and a little salt and pepper. Set aside.
Pour the water on a nonstick baking sheet. Then arrange the potato slices so they overlap a little. Spread the crumb mixture evenly on top. Top with a little grated parmigiano Reggiano. Drizzle with olive oil.
Cover with foil and bake for about one hour until potatoes are very tender. Remove foil and continue baking for about 10 minutes. Broil for a few minutes if not golden brown enough. Serve immediately or at room temperature.
Consider using whatever fresh herbs you like.
You can use some dried herbs like oregano.