Everything Cheat Bagels
If you ever made traditional bagels, then you'll understand when I say that I feel like I'm cheating with these bagels. Unlike the classic bagel, this recipe gives you fresh hot bagels with very little prep work. And while we could engage in a conversation about whether or not these are true bagels, I'll just continue whipping these up on a weekly basis. I've made authentic bagels, and frankly, cheating never tasted so good! Thanks Weight Watchers for making this recipe so popular.
Prep Time 10 minutes mins
Cook Time 25 minutes mins
Course breads, Breakfast, Lunch
- 2 cups all-purpose flour plus more for kneading
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- 2 cups Greek yogurt drained
- 1 egg white lightly beaten
Homemade Everything Seasonings:
- ½ tsp dehydrated onion flakes
- ½ tsp dehydrated granulated garlic
- ½ sesame seeds
- ½ tsp poppy seeds
Preheat oven to 375°F.
Line a large baking sheet (11”X15”) with parchment paper.
Add dry ingredients to a large bowl. Mix to combine.
Add the yogurt and mix with a spatula until the dough comes together loosely.
Place the dough on a lightly floured surface. Knead for a few minutes or until the dough forms a smooth ball, adding a little more flour if needed. The dough will be slightly tacky.
Divide the dough into 8 pieces of equal weight.
Sprinkle with flour. Roll each piece into a 6” rope. Form into a bagel, leaving a hole in the centre.
Place the bagels 2” apart on the lined baking sheet.
Brush each bagel with the egg white. Sprinkle the “Everything Seasoning” on each.
Bake in the middle of the oven for 25 minutes or until lightly golden. Remove from baking pan and cool on wire rack for 15 minutes before cutting. These bagels are best split and toasted.
3. Try using different combinations of flours. I’ve tried a mixture of all-purpose with whole wheat or oat flour. I have also used spelt flour or gluten-free flour. You may need to adjust the amount of flour and the baking time, depending on what flour you use.
4. If you prefer a more golden bagel, brush it with a beaten whole egg. If you need to keep this recipe egg-free, then brush it with milk or water.
5. For a more dessert-like bagel, divide the dough into 16 portions and roll each into a ball. Dip them in melted butter and roll in a combination of brown sugar and cinnamon. Bake on a lined baking sheet and serve warm.
6. Consider serving Smoked Salmon and Cream Cheese Cheat Bagels with red onion and capers:
- Do not use regular yogurt as it is too wet for this recipe.
- To keep these bagels dairy-free, use nondairy yogurt. Just be sure to drain off any liquid that pools in the container. You may need to use a little more flour.
Keyword bread, Greek yogurt