Asian Shrimp Stir Fry
If the aroma of ginger and garlic doesn’t signal to my family that there’s a stir fry coming, then it’s the ringing smoke alarm that does! Yup… I usually set off the smoke alarm when I make stir fries and this one is usually no exception! Nonetheless, I love making stir fries because they promise a quick, delicious nutritious meal. Versatile and fast, I use whatever vegetables and protein I have on hand. There are a few aromatics that are essential - ginger, garlic, onion, and sesame seed oil! Give the longer-cooking vegetables a few minutes in the pan before adding the quicker-cooking vegetables. It's important to not overcook the protein. Use shrimp or thinly sliced chicken or beef. Play with the sauces to determine your favourite combination. Taste as you go to adjust your seasonings. Just be sure to have all your prepped ingredients and flavourings right beside the stove. Mise en place! And turn on whatever ventilation system you have or you’ll set off your smoke alarm too!
Prep Time 10 minutes mins
Cook Time 10 minutes mins
Total Time 20 minutes mins
- 3 tbsp oil Use oil that has a high smoke point - peanut oil, canola oil, corn oil, avocado oil, grape seed oil, sunflower oil, safflower oil
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1-inch piece fresh ginger, minced
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut on the diagonal
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cups thinly sliced savoy cabbage
- 2 cups cauliflower, florets separated and sliced
- 2 lb shrimp, deveined, de-shelled, no tails or thinly sliced boneless chicken or beef
- ¼ cup Coconut Aminos or Soy sauce
- 2 tbsp Sesame seed oil
- ¼ cup Chipotle BBQ sauce from That Guys Sauces can substitute Mango Habanero
- 1 tbsp Coconut oil
Cook whatever grain you like according to the instructions on the package.
In the meantime, heat large cast iron pan for 5 minutes. Then add oil.
Quickly add carrots and onions. Stir. Cook for about 1 or 2 minutes.
Add cauliflower. Stir, cover and cook for 2 minutes.
Add ginger and garlic. Stir.
Add protein and stir. Cover with lid for about 1 or 2 minutes, or until protein is just almost cooked.
Add sauces and coconut oil. Stir.
Stir in cabbage and cook another couple of minutes. Adjust seasonings.
Serve on grain of choice, spooning sauce over it.
Squeeze a wedge of lime and garnish with pumpkin seeds.
Keyword AsiAN, shrimp, stir fries, STIR FRY